The diagnosis of cancer in any part of the body is an overwhelming experience for both patients and caregivers/family. The internet is full of well-meaning articles and websites or even products that sometimes help and sometimes hinder the progress of any individual. The biggest challenge is figuring out what is the right treatment choice or combination of treatments for each individual. And this can vary significantly even among patients with the same cancer diagnosis. The most important thing to remember with cancer treatment is to do what feels right for YOU. Take time to think about treatment options and your feelings about them. Don't rush into a treatment choice because of pressure from anyone else (including fear-instilling doctors or loving family members). Whichever treatment or combination of treatments you choose to work with for yourself is right for YOU. And then stick to your plan with whole-hearted participation in your health. Try to avoid looking at what other choices you could have pursued once you make your plan for at least some given length of time (which you can determine in your mind upon beginning a treatment) so that you know that you are fully allowing yourself to get the maximum benefit of your treatment option(s). What we have seen time and again at the Menen Centre is a fear/panic within patients about having made the wrong treatment choice. The best success we see is in those patients who fully participate in their chosen treatments -- mentally/emotionally and physically. And we have seen many successes.
In Naturopathic Medicine, the foundation of any healing is first through a baseline of nutrition. When supplements are used to help build upon relatively good nutrition, they can be amazing in their effects of strengthening a weakened system. And not every person needs the same supplements. Nor does every person require the same nutrition. I strongly recommend that each individual get a personal assessment from a practitioner (Naturopathic Doctor, Medical Doctor, or Nutritionist that is knowledgable in this area).
Sometimes people who are currently undergoing chemotherapy or radiation treatments are unsure as to the safety of supplementation (vitamins/minerals/herbs etc) in combination with their medical treatments. Seeing a Naturopathic Doctor is the safest way (in my opinion) to ensure that a knowledgable professional is guiding your "natural" supplement regime to ensure your safety.
Some basic suggestions that might help you or your loved one fight any cancer are as follows:
1. Juicing -- fresh vegetable juices especially and fruit juices are nutrient-dense and easily absorbed for beneficial anti-oxidant properties
2. Decrease Meat Consumption -- vegetarian diets (even just one meal per week) can help avoid many toxins (antibiotics or estrogenic) that are found in meats that have been associated with various cancers.
3. Meditation -- deep breathing exercises and simple quiet time can speed the body's healing ability
4. Acupuncture -- whether to treat the nausea from chemotherapy/radiation treatments, calm anxiety, help stimulate appetite, encourage healthy digestion, help shrink tumors/prevent metastasis, treat insomnia or pain related to cancer, this is a wonderful treatment option
5. Socialization -- cancer can be a very isolating experience, but socialization with friends/family can help immensely due to the positive effects of social interaction with friends and loved ones
6. Herbal Medicine/Supplementation -- although some vitamins/minterals/herbs are CONTRA-INDICATED with chemotherapy/radiation, some work fantastically to complement the actions of these treatments to provide a unique synergy of treatments
7. Counselling -- whether with a Naturopathic Doctor, a Psychologist, a Nurse, a Psychotherapist, a Medical Doctor -- nothing replaces proper counselling about your personal experience, as often what is shared in such sessions is difficult to express with loving friends/family (at least initially).
Wishing you all personal empowerment in your own healing journey,